RAISE ENVIRONMENTAL RESPONSIBILITY AND AWARENESS
- Encourage responsibility for our environment at a local level by respecting the natural cycles and organisms that keep the earth in balance.
- We borrow our resources from the environment- we should return these to it & we squander them at our peril
HELP ADDRESS CLIMATE CHANGE
- All "waste" creates harmful emissions. Waste is collected and disposed of by road = emissions; biodegradable waste in landfill creates anaerobic decomposition producing methane, a powerful greenhouse gas 21 x more powerful than CO2.
Note: BCCS uses a small amount of fossil fuel to power its sieve and shredder (approx half a gallon p.a.) but its work still has an impact on CO2 reduction. An average of 7kg CO2 of emissions on a 20 mile round trip is saved; x an average of 2 trips per year per member (some walk but we know many others would make many more car/van trips p.a) for 130 members = 1.8 tons CO2 is saved. This is the equivalent of 46 trees grown from seedlings for 10 years, x the 10 years of our scheme = 460 trees. The following websites were used to make these approx calculations:
- Use our compost to replace peat. When peat is extracted and used in gardening the stored carbon is released as CO2, a greenhouse gas.
- Compost is a carbon sink
RECYCLE AND REUSE WASTE LOCALLY
- 34% of waste is kitchen and garden waste – this scheme reduces local green waste and produces a useable result
HELP INCREASE THE FERTILITY OF LOCAL GARDEN SOILS
- The quality of our soils are improved by feeding them with compost, increasing fertility, and providing essential vitamins and minerals for our fruit and vegetables that in turn feed us